It Might Seem Simple to You. . .

Can I just point out how absolutely ridiculous it is that I still can’t figure out how to get a picture on this blog after ONE FULL YEAR OF BLOGGING?!

argh! I’m headed back to High School’s New Face, the conference in Ellicottville, New York where I first met Will Richardson and learned about blogs, podcasts and wikis. We’re there all week–please, for crying out loud, can someone sit down with me, open my blog, and remediate me? I’ll buy you a cold one, or two, I swear–just a little AIS on adding pictures. Everyone else has these cool pics in their posts and one in the sidebar of the author–I’d like to add some of that after ONE YEAR.  

This is a blatant cry for free tutoring–blogging friends at HSNF-please.

1. Hi Rick, We’re becoming a lot more than a jumping off point – not only are we stacked with pretty much all the plugins our users have asked for (over 30 of them if you include the auto installed ones) but we’re also going to be adding some great community features AND the facility to run your blog at your own domain name… really really soon 🙂

I personally run many individual wp installs and our aim at Edublogs is to provide a service that is actually better than that, and free!

2. Hey Kimberly, Edublogs is a great jumping off point to get started in blogging, but I’ve found that having your own domain name and a custom WordPress install adds a lot to your blog. It’s not difficult to do either one. Let me know if you’re interested in that some time and I’ll help you through the process. Great stuff here!

3. Hey You! Congrats on one full year of blogging, and thanks for all you’ve taught us and shared with us. You win my star pupil award for 06-07! Which I could be in Elicottville to help you mark the occasion, but I’m sure Sheryl will do a great job of taking you all to the next level. All the best, Will.

4. Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions–as soon as I’m on my school laptop at the conference (not this blasted dial up connected hunk of junk computer I use at home), I will give it another try. And yes, James, I figured you had a tutorial in there, should have spent more time looking for it. I just wanted it to be simple, you know, click/click, and there it was. Can’t link to the tutorial at home either, so I’ll check it out Monday at the conference. Maybe I’ll even figure out how to add my own header image. 🙂 And James–LOVE the new EDUBLOGS stuff–thank you!

5. Kimberley,

Here’s a tutorial!

When you are writing a post, there is an area to upload a picture file below your post.

It is a box, and shows the words browse, upload, etc.

Click upload, then click browse and browse to the picture you want that is saved on your computer.

Once you’ve done that, click upload.

A miniature of the image will appear.
    There are buttons next to it that say, full size, thumbnail. Select which you want. (you can pick full size and make it smaller later if you are worried about the picture quality), but either works.

(by the way, it will keep all the images that you upload in this space.)

Now, this is the multi-step part.

Scroll up to see your post. Click to get your cursor where you want to insert the image.
    Then scroll back down to the image area, where your image is showing. There is a button that says “send to editor.”

(you may have to scroll down a little bit in that window to see it.)

Click on the “send to editor” button. Scroll back up to your writing post box. It should be there!

The picture will have handles, so you can drag it or make it smaller at that point.

If the image is on the web already, you can just use the image icon above your post (looks like a little clip art icon of a tree).

Hope that helps! There may be an easier method but I haven’t discovered it. Email me if you need assistance, and I’ll be happy to help!

6. Kim…

In edublogs I also had issues with getting images to go into my posts. Make sure that the FLICKR extension is enabled. This will allow you to drag and drop images right into your posts.