What Makes A Success Story?

On July 1, I’ll have to change the header at the top of this blog to say “Kimberly Moritz, Assistant Superintendent, talks about school management, student achievement, and life in G-Town.”

I’ve been advised that the other opportunity (yesterday’s blog post) may have been the smarter move as far as finding professional “success”, that it may have been easier. But I also know that the smart move didn’t feel like the right move.

It seemed like I’d be saying to everyone here that it was just too hard, that I couldn’t be sure we’d improve, so I figured I’d go where the grass was greener. Where would that leave our students, faculty, staff– our community?

I feel responsible for this district, in a way I’ve not felt before in any other administrative position. Who would lead here if I left? I’m sure someone would come, it’s not that I think I’m irreplaceable. I know there are other good administrators, I work with two principals and a superintendent who are as good as it gets. I’m invested in G-Town in a way that I just don’t think others would invest, long term and as a new superintendent.

Our superintendent writes on his new blog about the addition of an assistant superintendent and the rationale behind it. I won’t duplicate the reasons behind this move as they’ve already been outlined by Mr. Rinaldi and the BOE.

I’m happy to have the opportunity to continue to serve Gowanda and I am convinced that our hard work, optimism, research, and instructional improvements will result in the best education for our children. I won’t disappoint those who have placed their confidence and faith in me.

During my decision making process, Lisa, my dear friend and college roommate asked me, “when have you ever shied away from ‘harder’ Kim?” She’s right, I’ve always looked for the more challenging path, it’s what motivates me. So maybe my success will be defined by helping Gowanda become the best district it can be for all of our children. I know that’s not an easy task and that I have much to learn. But this is my community, these are the best teachers, support staff, administrators and BOE I’ve ever known, and I believe we can do it. Make Gowanda a success for every student.

I can’t think of any better success story than that one.

1. I don’t know that you’ve made the right choice. I do know that you seem to have earned the respect of a whole bucketful of people who work with you and for you, who go to your school, or whose kids go to your school, or even further afield, who read this blog. And I think that they would have respected any decision you made. Certainly I would have.

Best of luck in your new position.

2. Awesome Post Mom! I’ve learned my drive from you…. Thank you for always going for what you want and feel is right, you have made me a stronger woman.

3. Kim

I’m glad you decided to stay. I’ve seen a lot of changes for the better since you came to G-town and I don’t want to lose your vision and energy.

4. COngratulations! I have enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to your future posts! I am an Assistant Principal and I just moved to a new school (in a new state) this past year.