Transparency

We are in the middle of construction of our new technology center and I am thinking a lot about our proposed renovations to the space vacated by our technology and agriculture programs as they move to the new center.

Any proposed changes to the renovations have to be within the scope of the project as originally approved by SED and the voters. I am consulting with our school attorney, our architect and SED regarding the proposed changes and I will be sure to fall within the scope of the original project.

We have met as an administrative team and talked about the changes and I’m confident we have a solid plan that best benefits our district. The changes largely hinge on the decision we made regarding our sixth grade team.

Which is what brings me to this blog. I keep thinking that this blog, used effectively, could be a valuable communication tool, helping me to hear more viewpoints. Of course the trick is making sure people are aware that the tool exists and then hoping that there’s “equal access” and that I don’t end up making decisions based on the limited group who access the blog. If used with the understanding that only a part of our community is reading and responding, I could use it as one vehicle of communication.  It may be more than I’m hearing from now.

I heard loud and clear in my interviews and from those people I’ve talked to in the four+ weeks I’ve been here that the sixth grade team should stay in the elementary school. I’ve not had anyone make a compelling argument to move them. But I can’t help wondering if I’ve heard everyone’s voice.

I want to do a good job of communicating our ideas, goals and plans to our school community. This brings me full circle to the idea that this blog, along with the newsletter, school website, and public attendance at BOE meetings, with informal and formal conversations, will help increase our communication. The use of this blog to communicate, assuming I can generate a real readership from within the Randolph community, can be a much more current and immediate tool than more traditional formats.

What would the topics be? I would post about our building project progress and our proposed changes to the renovations. I would write about my thoughts as we look at an addition to the bus garage to solve the problems with our mechanics’ bay—based on former public votes, I’d really benefit from knowing how the public feels about this solution as I plan for a possible project here on campus. I would think out loud on the blog about our current inclusion of a GED program on campus. I would write about school management, learning and Randolph.

I’m thinking that this transparency– this proposed public openness–can go a long way to building teamwork, collaboration and trust within our school community.

What do you think Randolph Readers?

1. I am glad that you are so willing to be open and share with all of us here at Randolph, speaking not only as a teacher, but also as a community member and tax payer. What the administration thinks about is of great interest to all of us, with it impacting us in many different ways.
    I know many people are glad to welcome you here. I look forward to the future of Randolph Central School with you as our superintendent.

2. Kimberly,

I was tagged this week so I thought I would try tagging you. I have tagged you to join me in special meme among our Professional Learning Network.

Read my list here http://drmarkstock.com

“To maintain engagement with creative forms of self-expression throughout adult life”, I hope you will join me by: A) writing a “7 Things You Don’t Need to Know About Me” post and B) tagging 7 other people in your PLN by listing them at the bottom of your post. See 7 Things You Don’t need To Know about Me