Ain’t No Stopping Us Now. . .

I think that I am literally smarter when things are really cooking around here. Wonder if that’s possible? I’m sharper in problem solving discussions, more productive and happier. When I go right from one meeting and project to another with several deadlines to meet, I’m stoked. The worst thing for me to see is an open day on my calendar–I’m not nearly at the top of my game on those days. Honestly.

Maybe principals become adrenaline junkies. After all, that job can be non-stop action. Or maybe it’s genetic. My dad is a total pain in the neck if he doesn’t have enough to do. On the rare occasions when he comes for a visit, we plan a project for him to complete. Otherwise, he’s liable to turn around and drive the 200 miles home the same day. I’d quite honestly purchase a new grill or picnic table just to give the guy something to put together when he comes to my house. He’s happier and easier to get along with when he’s busy.

I absolutely love the planning/big idea part of this job. We’ve got three summer forums planned and our teachers are signing up in droves. We’re developing a Thoughtful Education year long professional development plan focused on meaningful instructional strategies and understanding learning–sustained and fully supported teacher learning. We’re revising our APPR plan, assessing our Wellness plan, concluding one mentoring year and planning for the next while hiring our new faculty and staff. We’re setting up our TechPaths, curriculum design software and planning an implementation for 91 educators in our district. We’re installing another 28 smartboards (bringing us to 58) and teaching those teachers the basics so that they can start designing lessons. We’ve got a Gifted and Talented Program to get off the ground and a Reading Teacher on Special Assignment to hire. Oh yeah, and then there’s that little K-6 Reading program to implement. Teachers will be going live with parent portal in September and many are creating content on their own web pages.

How’s that for progress G-Town?

One Comment