Some Clarification of Summer Reading

In a comment to my last blog post Nancy writes,

Nancy Says:
February 6th, 2008 at 7:38 pm

So let me get this straight. You will finally have a comprehensive reading program in grades K-6 AND this week a decision was made to discontinue the mandatory summer reading program – making it optional for students. They won’t be assessed or held accountable. I was told the decision was made because students were failing the first quarter, they refused to do the assignment attached to the reading. You might be helping the smallest of our community but you’re giving up on the older students. Maybe your pose of administrators should ensure that EVERYONE is cared about, in the correct way.

This is an interesting comment. I was part of a brief conversation just this morning (maybe five minutes, if that) in which our ELA department chairperson was looking for a decision on summer reading. I specifically heard our building principal state that there wasn’t a need to make a decision now, but that he did believe the summer reading assignment should have a “neutral or positive effect” on student grades. I would hope that our encouragement of summer reading could have a positive effect on our students. The last thing I would want is for our students to associate reading with something negative or punitive.

The New York Statewide Summer Reading Program  is a wonderful program that supports the importance and academic gains for students who read over the summer. This is an incredible partnership with local libraries to encourage all children to read. Recently, I met with representatives of both of our local libraries as we are very interested in working together to benefit all children. This is a terrific start.

In addition, NYSED posted guidance on locally required summer reading assignments in April, 2006. Some of their suggestions include,

The State Education Department also suggests that:

• Any locally required summer reading assignments should be integral to the school district’s existing curriculum.
  • Parents(s)/guardians should be encouraged to review the reading list to be aware of the titles and authors and to encourage and help guide their children’s reading.
  • Students should have a choice among one or more required readings.
  • Options should be provided to students for demonstrating completion of the assignment (e.g., a book report, an oral presentation, or a media or electronic presentation).
  • For students who will be away on vacation, all the necessary materials for their summer reading assignment should be provided to them before school ends in June.
  • If assignments are given to determine placement in Advanced Placement (AP) courses or as part of the body of work required for the AP course, the district/school should have appropriately trained teachers available to the students for guidance and assistance over the summer, in addition to making all necessary materials available.

Any efforts made by our administrative team, in conjunction with our teachers and teacher leaders, will be with the above guidelines in mind. There certainly was no district decision to discontinue the summer reading program.   If at any time Nancy, or any other member of our school community for that matter, would like to meet in person to more fully discuss the summer reading program or my involvement with our older students, I would be most happy to do so.

One Comment
  1. First off welcome back Kim! We have all missed you. I love reading what you have to say, because again you say it like it is,and It is as if you were having a face to face conversation with someone, not just typing words on your computer.
    I wanted to comment on the summer reading for two reasons. One I think it’s great. Summer is when I get a chance to finally chill out and read and I am a constant at the Gowanda free library. So during those lazy hazy days of summer. My kids and I pull up a lawn chair, and pull out a good book and loose ourselves for a while. What I don’t like about the summer reading program is that you can not choose what you want to read. I understand that some students would maybe take the easy way out and choose something far to easy for their grade and age level, but, some may not. For those students who decide to take the easy way out, well I guess you just received your first 0 in the class. I also, know that it would be harder to have class room discussion on the books that were read, or maybe it would make it more interesting if you were to discuss several books as opposed to one. You may spark someone else’s interest in reading the book you read. I know as a parent that I am just happy when I see my children reading just for pleasure.