Positive Energy

So about fifteen minutes after my arrival today, a colleague saw me about an issue on which he was clearly unhappy. Normally, I may have reacted to him differently, but today I just looked at him and thought “how unfortunate that he’s this upset.” I didn’t take in any of his negative energy, didn’t react, just calmly answered his questions.

I really wish I could manage from that perspective 100% of the time. My “business” is working with people who come with as many different attitudes, issues, and emotions as there are minutes in the day. It felt really great to maintain my own energy and attitude without taking in any of his.  I found that I was refreshingly calm, cool, and collected.

This was a great reminder that everyone needs a little time away to gain perspective. Coming back from a ten day student tour, I know it was a success because I feel ready to handle anything that comes my way. I’m reminded that this is the perfect job for me, and most important, that spending real time with our students (as I got to on this trip) is the secret to my own happiness and success.

1. Who are you and what have you done with my sister? Just kidding. Welcome home Kim and I hope your positive energy lasts. Sometimes the best part of vacation is going back to work with a new viewpoint, sort of a reminder of why you do what you do. At least, that’s the way I’ve always felt about it. Send me an email when you’ve got a chance and I’ll quit filling up your blog!
    love,
    ziggy

2. My positive energy lasted about 58 minutes. I keep thinking this is the job for me but am begining to wonder if I am in denial. Hey we are Alaksa bound in 2008 so only 430 days to go! Welcome home Kim.