Dream Me Success

Let me dream for a moment. I’ve written before about initiatives in G-Town and our efforts to improve. As a fiscally responsible principal, I’ve always tried to make those changes with little impact to our budget. But now, with our Governor’s proposed increase to foundation aid, I’m really starting to think about how we could improve. Like a full 9-12 summer school program, with transportation, offered to our students here for free. Most of our kids who drop out do so because they fall behind on credits earned, due to lack of attendance, or lack of effort, or intense needs that warrant a reduced course load each year. They most often can’t get to the neighboring summer school (30 miles away) and they sure can’t afford it.

The five year plan. Super Seniors. Most kids don’t stick around for that fifth year. I treasure every student who does stay for the long haul. And when they do stay, they still count as drop outs in our accountability rate with the State. More and more are sticking around. Too many are dropping out–about 24 per year.

But what if I could offer them the chance to gain credits in July and August, attendance and effort the only cost? Keep them on track to graduate in four years with kids their age? Make it a palatable schedule, so they’ll come? Would this be a significant improvement on the path to graduation in four years, enough to entice my reluctant learners to stay with me?

And I haven’t even talked about offering booster courses for kids on the fence. . . or enrichment. . . or more community college courses. . . or intensive academic intervention services. And fewer class periods in our school day, because those kids on track to graduation have plenty of time to get in their credits and then we could spend longer than our 38 minutes per period. 38 minutes is nothing. Fewer but longer class periods with summer school to help our reluctant learners stay on track. And hey, I’m just getting started, I’ve only been thinking about this since Thursday. What will happen when our entire faculty starts to dream like this?

1. Summer school is exactly what we need, not only for students who fail the course but for students striving to attain mastery level on Regents exams. Have a great activity like a field day picnic or a trip to Darien Lake at the end. Give opportunities for community service so GHS students have something to put on college applications. Have a Saturday or two each month open for students to come in, make-up work, get extra help, and erase an absence. Offer a flex schedule with a longer school day. Give teachers summer planning time to work together getting the curriculum aligned. Offer professional development via on-line classes. Provide after-school activities for students (other than athletes). Wow – this could be really long but here’s my first five minutes of thought.

2. Kim,
    The best principals have vision, and you are at the top of that list. I wonder what other thoughts teachers and fellow administrators might come up with as they dare to take to task the barriers that educators face everyday. I often get frustrated that when extra money is available that we often do more of the same – we hire more teachers, we buy more books, we get extra materials, we start another writing program – all of which are GOOD. But, how exciting it is to see us thinking out of the traditional box. Throwing money at the barriers has not always worked. Hire more teachers, buy more resources, and start new programs, but let’s do something different with these resources.

We are trying to address the dropout rate across the state, and what a way to start – an extended year for kids! My favorite part of your blog- offering kids something that they want to attend. I can only imagine what that program would look like as students take the risk, trust their principal and attend summer school that is engaging, a guarantee of a school program that is like no other! I am sitting here on my couch thinking about that school – a technology-rich environment where kids are actively reading, writing, researching and creating. – a place where kids are talking about their learning – a place where teachers are the facilitators of learning and a room that is kid-based, kid-designed, kid-driven.

Thanks for giving me lots to ponder on our snow day! Melissa