G-Town Talks Blog Policy #001

Our G-Town students have recently weighed in on this principal’s blog in a big way. Anyone following a post from January entitled “Cheating or Initiative”, has seen the large number of comments generated by our students. It’s been a great learning experience for me and is probably one that would send many principals running. However, through disagreement there’s a lot to be learned. If I didn’t keep the blog, I’m not sure students would have expressed their opinions and I would be left thinking everything was resolved when, for some, it just wasn’t.

As I work hard to be a principal who is approachable, who investigates and listens, one of the things I always remember is that sometimes things that don’t seem like a big deal to me are a very big deal to someone else. It’s important for me to respect and honor each and every student. Oftentimes the decisions I must make don’t please everyone, sometimes they seem to please no one. Because of this blog, students were able to express themselves in a way that allowed for further conversation. That’s important to me.

Here’s one thing I learned though. Sometimes people will say things anonymously, on-line that they would never say in person. And while it may be okay for other blogs, or chat rooms, or message boards, it’s not okay for me. So here’s my first official “Blog Policy”. For me, on this blog, as a public high school principal, it’s important to own what you say. If you want to post a comment, I welcome it, agree or disagree. But if you write, please step up, attach your name to your words, and own your ideas. After all, that’s what I’m doing every time I write here so I’m not asking you to do anything I wouldn’t do. And if you can’t say it on-line, openly, then come and see me, call me, send me an email. I am always interested in what you have to say.

G-Town Talks Blog Policy #001: “Kimberly Moritz, Author of G-Town Talks, recognizing the importance of discussion, differing points of view, and a fair exchange of ideas, believes everyone deserves an equal opportunity to post comments to this blog. Therefore, all will be provided the opportunity to post a comment provided they register their name and email address. Anyone who chooses to post anonymously will not have the comment allowed on the blog.”

1. I hope that I will be able to post now that you made me into a spammer. I changed my email address so it will hopefully go through. I thought that I saw something about only having a 10 line post at most in your customization. This is why I thought that it wouldn’t let a longer post get through. Maybe what you should do is post that it is a problem that you are working on. But that if people post and find it doesn’t get through they should try again, or atleast let you know. It doesn’t mean that you have disallowed their post. I don’t know that sounds like it is going to be a lot of work for you then.

You can delete this one too. I’m just thinking that it has something to do with the length of the post. Ofcourse, know that you marked me as spam I don’t know if any of it will come through anyway. How do you unmark me???? I feel like I need to wear a scarlet S on my chest for Spammer.

You know it is probably because you are so popular, they are overwhelming your site. It’s a terrible thing to be so famous because you have great things to say 🙂

Ok… do we think this one is sufficiently long. Ok… it is time to test it out.

Let me know if you get it and if it works.

2. I have a hard time supporting anonymous blogging or commenting. This is a public place and anonymity needs to be for private conversations. I posted about this a few months ago and did receive some interesting comments, including the person referred to in the USA Today article I discussed.
    http://ideasandthoughts.org/2006/09/17/blog-rage/

While I recognize why some want to stay anonymous, I just can’t really support it.

3. Kimberly,
    Good for you! I could not agree more with you regarding anonymous comments on your blog. I would take this a step further. Unfortunately I deal with anonymous comments all the time as a principal. Someone will come to me with some “information” about a teacher, child, or parent but it is from a second, anonymous source. Or I will receive an anonymous letter or note from someone. So what do I do with this information? If it is regarding a teacher’s performance or teacher evaluation, I usually do nothing unless I can personally witness the situation. If it involves a child’s safety, I need to take it more seriously, but if I start looking into the situation, I run the risk of ruffling a bunch of feathers without any proof other than an anonymous source. I don’t know if I will ever resolve this dilemna. I am glad, however, that others are struggling with the same issues. Thanks for the post on this subject.
    Dave