On What Should I Focus?

I’m betting this post, about a small issue, will resonate with many readers. Do you know what a “blanket” email is? That’s when the boss sends an email to all 76 employees about something that probably only applies to about 20 of them. For example, we have a rule in our school that students aren’t allowed to wear hats or hoods in the building. It’s been well communicated to staff and students over the years. It’s not a big deal issue, until half the staff finds themselves enforcing the rule while their colleagues let it slide in their own classrooms.

Hats and hoods are just one example of this, it could be any school rule. I remember the issue of inconsistent application of the rules from my teaching days and it continues to come up in my administration. Teachers end up ticked at each other, those enforcing the rules feeling like they’re always “the bad guys”, while their colleagues let kids do the very things they just corrected.

But back to the point of the post, the “blanket” email. It goes like this, “Thank you to those of you who are consistently asking students to remove their hats and hoods. If you’re not doing this, then get to it and do your job.” Those teachers who are applying the rules end up insulted that I’ve blanket emailed everyone. Why not just email those who aren’t doing their jobs?

Because I honestly refuse to take the time in my job to send personalized emails to 20 individuals about such a trivial matter, something they should be doing anyway. AND, I want the teachers who are complaining about it to see that I am addressing it. I understand that this is part of our day to day business, I understand that we need consistency, I understand that it’s my job to follow through and make everyone accountable. I also understand that, like teachers, I  have a great deal to do in my work day. A “blanket” email takes me 2 minutes, while personalized to “violators” takes me 30 minutes. I’d rather focus my other 28 minutes on something more meaningful.

I’d hope that the focus of my principalship will be remembered as one of literacy, attention to instructional strategies and content, positive schoolwide behavior management, technology, good fiscal management, increased achievement and graduation rates. I hope when I’m gone from G-Town I’m not just the leader who was always polite in reminding people to do the routine parts of their jobs. If my approach is at times too direct, I don’t apologize.  

1. Hmm. I get really annoyed when it seems that school rules are unevenly enforced, making me look like the bad guy. But when I used to get blanket memos (pre-e-mail days) I would be even more annoyed by the memos.

I am not a fan of our ban on hats and hoods (NYC, not just a rural thing), but I enforce it. If a teacher is not enforcing it, the principal can call them on a specific instance of not enforcing it. If there are specific reasons, the teacher can respond.

In the end, I think the blanket e-mail may be used most frequently when the rule in question is of questionable utility. If a quarter of your teachers don’t enforce a rule, maybe the problem is the rule.

2. Amy says:

But then again… if we allowed hats what would happen to hat day?

🙂

In my classroom kids don’t wear hats but I have no idea what others are doing about the policy in their classrooms

My spouse (teacher too) and I discussed this yesterday and we both agreed that if such a policy must exist it should, at the very least, be individualized. However, I have to admit that if I chose to ban hats in my classroom and a student asked me why, I would not have a reasonable response to the inquiry. Thus, I would be forced to drop my policy or face losing some integrity with regards to the student/teacher relationship.

3. Peter has thoroughly entertained me and given much food for thought. I taught in a school that allowed hats and never considered it an issue. The parents wore hats and even some of the grandparents wore hats.

Now, about the blanket e-mail. I agree that it is not worth your time to confront the few teachers that don’t enforce the rule. In my classroom kids don’t wear hats but I have no idea what others are doing about the policy in their classrooms – who has time for that? Your e-mail was blunt and direct – just your style. It seperates you from the rest – and in education that’s an accomplishment.

4. Cindy says:

[Removing hats] shows a sign of respect to others.

Respect must be our focus. Not “signs” of.

How is a teacher to know if a student is paying attention or sleeping in class if they have their hoods up?

As I addressed in an earlier comment, if the hood or hat is covering the state of the student’s awareness, then the teacher will ask the student to remove the hood or hat. That is reasonable.

I can picture these kids slumped in their seats, arms crossed not caring about what the teacher says.

Bleak imagery of student behavior is not conducive to finding the truth in this matter. If the student is not caring, then the problem is much deeper than any hat or hood.

We have raised three children and always required them to remove hats and hoods in any building! What is wrong with that?

How you raise your children is not relevant to this discussion.

Saluting the flag? Maybe we all should!

Why?

And speaking of flags and removing hats – do you remove your hat while at a parade when the flag goes by?

Why would/should I?

5. Upon reflection, I take back the “flag” example. It is not analogous for one may be offended if they are told that they must salute a national flag. The notion of forced hat removal is generally not in that league.

However, the rest of (i.e. the “meat” of) my comment I stand by. The policy should be removed or reasonably modified.

6. Removing hats and hoods inside a building is not just a “local” custom. It shows a sign of respect to others. Maybe this is the problem with today’s society – respect for one another has just about disappeared! How is a teacher to know if a student is paying attention or sleeping in class if they have their hoods up? I can picture these kids slumped in their seats, arms crossed not caring about what the teacher says. We have raised three children and always required them to remove hats and hoods in any building! What is wrong with that?
    Saluting the flag? Maybe we all should! And speaking of flags and removing hats – do you remove your hat while at a parade when the flag goes by?

7. Observed? I think you mean “enforced”.

Your students should be free to observe this custom or ignore it. The fact that your community enforces a custom is what creates the conflict. I suggest that this policy be removed or modified as it is nonsensical. Rules are of course needed. But if the school cannot provide the reason for the rule in place, then such a rule will inevitably breed discontent within the community.

I have heard the argument that hoods and hats can cover eyes. And eye contact is needed in the context of learning and communication between student and teacher. I agree with this. However, in most cases, hoods and hats do not interfere with this. So at the very least, the policy should be modified so that teachers can have students remove hats/hoods that fall into this specific category.

One imagines the following response: “Peter, you are asking our community to turn its back on custom!” However, this is to elevate custom to a level where it does not belong. Customs come and customs go. This is natural. Enforcement is not.

For many, saluting the nation’s flag is a sign of “respect”. What would you think of a policy that forced students to salute the flag upon arrival each day?

8. Our principal sends these out occasionally, and I’m generally not offended when I’m following through with whatever the blanket email is about anyway. My guess is that half to three-quarters of the targeted staff members will follow through with the email reminder. How do you address the remaining staff that either doesn’t see themself in that email, or otherwise continues to not support your request?

9. Peter,
    This is a long standing custom, a sign of respect, that we remove our hats/hoods in a public building. I realize it may be a custom that’s fallen away in many areas, but in our small rural community it is still observed.
    Kimberly