Fight Night Again

Here we go again. In November, I wrote about my son’s first amateur kickboxing fight. Since then we’ve missed one scheduled bout because he broke his hand sparring. This is the second amateur fight for Tallon and he’s trained just as hard, prepared just as much as for that last fight in November.

Why? I guess because he loves it, it’s exciting, in many ways it’s the sport of the moment across this country, and he’s good at it. He trains for at least two hours per day, every day. Monday was the last day of classes at his high school and while most of the juniors and seniors headed to the beach, Tallon went to the gym. When I asked “why? Why didn’t you just tell Dad everyone was going?”, his reply was, “because if I lose on Saturday I don’t want Dad to look at me and say ‘well, guess you shouldn’t have gone to the beach on Monday’ and I want to know I’ve done everything I can to be ready.”

I know it’s not a fair comparison, but I wish there was something in the classroom that ignited even a spark of that kind of passion and dedication from him. I pin my dreams on him finding that in college and then in his career–whatever he chooses. Maybe I’m just being a worried mom today who really hopes he finds some dream to follow that requires the use of his brains instead of his fists.

So I sit again today, trying to keep my mind occupied. Trying to stay busy. Trying not to think about the fact that we sold out the tickets we were given and that 86+ people from Gowanda have now ponied up $12 to watch my son fight tonight.  No pressure, right? That kind of support is amazing and I’m not sure you find it anywhere but a small town. Win or lose, they’ll know we’re there!

1. After a wild three rounds, my kid lost by a decision. He gave it his all and went for it. No one could possibly question his heart and spirit–he left it all in the ring in a very even fight. All that’s left is to study the tape and determine what he can do better the next time–but that’s up to him and his dad.

I find it amazing how many people sit in the seats, watch the fight and then determine what he should have done differently. How do you know how you would react in that situation? Truly? As our friend Ed says, “95% of those people watching would never consider stepping into the ring in the first place.” I most appreciate those guys at the fight who could look my kid in the eye afterwards and say to him, “I’ve been there kid.” and then pat him on the back and tell him how proud they are of him.

A few notes to those there. To Mike, Bob, Ed, Chris, of course my husband Derek, those of you who have been in that same ring–thank you for saying all of the things to him that only you are truly qualified to say.

To my daughter, who would do anything in her power to help her brother and support him, thank you for always being in his corner. You make me proud every moment of your life but moreso when you’re loyal to your brother than at any other time.

And to the 86+ friends and supporters who came to cheer on our kid and to show you support him–thank you–especially his cousin and best friend Damen–love the way you are there for each other and hope it lasts you both a lifetime.

To my son–nobody brings it like you do kid, nobody trains any harder or wants it more–follow your passion and we’ll figure all the rest of it out–you know what I mean here. You have my unending support, I admire you every second that you’re in that ring giving it your all (as excruciating as I find it to watch), and I believe in you. You show a commitment to this sport that few teenagers show in anything. I hope that you bring your same dedication and drive to succeed in the ring to everything else in your adult life–your future family and career. I love you and the man you’re becoming.

2. As a grandmother I’m not sure how I am supposed to feel about the fight. I know Tallon is well prepared (his parents would not let him do this if he wasn’t) and has practiced continuously. It is something he enjoys and has the support of his family. So I guess my job is to wish him the best and pray for his safety which I definitely do.