The Best-Laid Plans. . . often go awry.

This saying is adapted from “To a Mouse”, by Robert Burns and it clearly applies to our hiring process as outlined for our SES Principal position. Today is the closing date and I was astonished to receive only a few applications. I thought we’d gotten everything right: identified our process, invited participants on the interview committee, all set to go for 8/8 BOE Approval, communicated the process to our school community here. The best-laid plans, right?

As I studied the applications I started to think “why are our only applicants from Springville?” And why did we receive so many applications for SMS and SHS Principal and so few for this position? Which turned into the question asked of District Clerk Kathy Tucker, “are we sure the Buffalo News ran our ad as submitted?”

And here’s where it goes awry. The Buffalo News did not run our ad. They are now– our SES Principal position will be advertised in print and on their website for the next week at no additional charge to the district. This means we are moving our closing date to next Tuesday, July 26. 

So, Help Still Wanted, Amazing Principal Candidates Please Apply! And for our local candidates who applied, hang on–you’re in the mix.  The new interview process will be as follows:

Round #1 Screening Interviews: Wednesday, July 27, 2016, beginning at 8:00 am.

Round #2 with a Committee including a representative from each union and 3-4 SES teachers: Monday, August 1, 2016, beginning at 8:30 am.

Round #3 Final Interview with me and a BOE member from the Personnel Committee, Thursday, August 4, 2016, beginning at 8:30 am.

This should still afford us the time to have our new SES Principal selected and BOE appointed at our next BOE meeting on August 8, 2016.