An Encouraging Leadership

In its simplest form, a leader is defined as a person who guides or directs a group.  It’s my responsibility to “guide and direct” the employees of our district, most notably the administrative team, along with everyone else who works here. Of course if all I’m ever doing is “guiding and directing”, I’m not sure that’s good enough. We need to inspire students and teachers and all employees to want to be the very best that they can be and I’ve got to get better at the positive end of the role.

The other day I saw an example of natural leadership that struck me in a way that left me thinking the entire way home from school and into the evening. One of our teachers, Caitlin, approached another, Brooke, with great excitement because she wanted to tell her colleague about some event in which she would be running. Brooke responded with positive praise (something I continue to work on remembering to give) and genuine enthusiasm for Caitlin’s efforts. The natural leadership comes into play because Caitlin wanted to share her story, she knew she would receive further encouragement, and she was proud of her accomplishment. If Brooke didn’t have credibility as a leader, friend, colleague, and RUNNER, I’m doubting that Caitlin would have bothered to tell her. I noticed all of this in the three seconds it took me to walk by the two of them.

I need to work on this–our teachers and administrators don’t come to see me to tell me about something they’ve worked hard to implement or to execute. Is it because they don’t receive appropriate encouragement and positive praise from me? Is it because they think I don’t care or that I won’t think it’s good enough?

In this new year I’m going to seek ways in which I can positively encourage our administrators and teachers.  I can be very hard on people, always pushing them to be their best. (Just ask my two kids.) But do I ENCOURAGE them to do so?