You Can’t Always Get What You Want

When someone calls with a concern or praise or wants us to do something differently, we LISTEN intently. We most often have lots of discussion about that concern or request or problem. We investigate EVERY issue that comes before us carefully. We follow through.

If we don’t do exactly what you want us to do, it doesn’t mean we’re not listening. You can’t always get what you want. And you’re not always right. There’s always more to the story, another perspective, other people involved. Don’t rush so quickly to judgment. If you’re always angry at everyone around you, as my mother would say, you better look in the mirror.

And I’ll make you a deal. I’ll listen. I’ll realize I can’t always get what I want. I’m aware on a daily basis that I’m not always right. I’ll have room in my head for the ideas of others, not just my ideas. I’ll listen to all sides of the story. I’ll make the best decision I can, given the information I’ve gathered. I’ll research and evaluate and then decide.

If the decision isn’t what you wanted, it doesn’t mean I didn’t listen. It’s just that you’re not always right and your opinion isn’t the only one that matters.

One Comment
  1. Pingback: Tweets that mention You Can’t Always Get What You Want | G-Town Talks 2.0 -- Topsy.com