Why No Blog Posts?

So I’ve been busy, okay? I know, I know. It’s always busy and I’ve been remiss in posting to the blog. This is an important communication tool about what’s happening here at RCS–and if you’re reading then you must be interested. I know very well that we can say something 10 times in 5 different ways and there will still be people who say, “what?! I didn’t know that–you didn’t tell us!”

Also,  communicating openly and honestly is a personal and professional part of who I work hard to be,  so let’s get back to it—I’ll be posting on a number of topics over the next week. If you have any questions or comments, as always—I‘d love to hear them.

1. Chris–Not sure what position you’re in, but I find less is urgent than we think and even more so as a superintendent. There are several differences between the job of building principal and this one. One is that I do have the time to think about things before responding when as a principal I was always reacting NOW. I felt I had to take care of whatever was happening at the moment because who knew what the next day might bring.

Bill–You ask a similar question to Chris’ but without the “urgency” factor. I can tell you that the magnitude of the work ebbs and flows for me. Because I realize how absolutely imperative it is to communicate with all of the members of our school family–I’m compelled to find the time to write. I closed my office door on Friday morning and wrote for three hours straight, seven blog posts. I told my secretary what I was doing so that if anything pressing came up, she knew I was working but could be reached. I then timed the posts to publish one per day. Why? Each post covers a different topic of interest to local readers and I’ve found that in posting more than one per day–some thoughts get lost.

One other thing I should mention, I have colleagues who have shared with me how long it takes them to write something. This makes me realize that it’s an arduous process for some but luckily, not for me. I love writing and find it’s as easy as breathing. That may factor into where it falls on our “to do” lists!

2. I am a Superintendent in Connecticut enrolled in district professional development. One of our assignments was to post on another blog and create our own. How do you manage to find the time to keep up with a blog with all the other responsibilities?

3. Please, keep the posts coming. I’m watching and learning from what you are willing to share. How about… How do you manage the tyranny of the urgent as a sup and still stay true the core of communicating openly and honestly? Is it really possible?

Take care – and thanks for sharing your wisdom.