Who Are You?

I’m replicating Lisa Rosendahl’s idea from her blog post, “Hey There, How’s it Going?” Lisa is in human resources so it’s no surprise that she is deeply interested in people. In this case, she’s looking to learn more about her readers than what the stats counters tell her.

I’m also curious about who’s reading this blog now. I know the audience has changed as the blog has transformed into a means of communication for Randolph Central. We’re starting to have more conversation here and so I’m hoping people are becoming more comfortable with this format. Blogging includes some amount of planning on my part and thinking about what it is that readers most want to know should make it more beneficial for all of us.

If you would be so kind, please leave a comment and tell me who you are. Your name, of course, if you’re comfortable or if not, tell me what your connection to the school or to this blog might be.  Any future topics you’d like me to cover but also something unusual or interesting about you.

And as Lisa offered,

Here are a few ideas to get you going:

• Where are you from?
  • What are you most proud of? Link to it if you can!
  • Some little tidbit about yourself.
  • Do you blog? If so, include your website address so we can check you out!

Can’t wait to learn more about you–plus it will be fun for readers to see who else is reading and from where they hail.

1. Hi Kim:

I’m happy to share. I’m a 52 year old school board member from Watertown, South Dakota. We’re a community of about 20,000 in the NE part of the state. I’m passionate about education and making a difference in the lives of our children. I spend as much time as I can each week learning about education, and in particular learning how to become a bettter school board member and servant-leader.

In my daily life, I’m a husband and father of four daughters. My wife and I have been married 27 years. The relationship I have with my wife and children, and their success in life is what I am most proud of. Sorry – no links to my family – that is unless you become a friend on Facebook (seriously – look me up!).

My oldest two daughters have both graduated college – one is working as a counselor in Texas, the other as an 8th grade theology teacher in Kansas City. The third attends college near Pittsburgh and is preparing for a semester abroad in Austria. Our fourth is at home with us. She is a 10th grader. Not sure what to make of them moving so far away from home, but I know they are all happy and doing well – and that’s the greatest joy of my fatherly heart.

Professionally, my wife and I are both chiropractors. We’ve worked together in the same office for 26 years. Everyone always asks how we’re managed to do that, and all I can tell you is that God has been very good to us.

As far as blogging – yes I blog. You’re welcome to visit my blog at http://www.school-of-thought.net where I share about education from the perspective of a school board member. I enjoy company – both in person and on my site – so drop by any time.

2. I am a mom of 3 RCS students, a gardener, and we own a dairy farm here in this great town. I started substitute teaching in 2005 and have recently finished my Master’s in education and NOW I am an English teacher in search of a job- my timing isn’t great- but my passion for kids and learning and growing is undeterred. I find your blog- and many of those on your blogroll facinating. I appreciate your honesty and enjoy the insight and reflection!

3. Hi Mrs. Moritz,
    Sad to say that I didn’t even know about your blog until accidently running onto it from the school home page late May of this year.
    I graduated from RCS in 1980. I currently have twins that are seniors attending RCS this year and of course Matt, who graduated in 2006, whom enjoyed having conversations with you when you were previously employeed here at RCS. I am most proud of our 3 boys. Looking forward to another Cardinal Football Season !

4. Hi Kimberly,

Hugh O’Donnell, retired middle school teacher, board member, and “grading for learning” consultant (three years at ETS/ATI Sound Grading Conferences in Portland, OR) for northwestern US and Canadian school districts.

5. I’m the editor of the Randolph Register and I read your blog for information on what’s going on at the school. I find it informative and fun.

6. I am parent from Gowanda and a former co-worker. I read your blog faithfully from the beginning and again when you accompanied our students (and our daughter) to Europe. I don’t read your blog as often any more but I do still enjoy it. Still miss you here in Gowanda!

7. I live in Randolph NY, I have been reading your blog since you came to Randolph. I have 2 boys in this school district, so I am obviously interested in what you have to say, the direction our district is heading, the ideas that you share. I have never read another blog – not very computer literate, but I enjoy yours. I should tell others here that I am also a member of the RCS BOE, and in that role I am facinated by your thought process, and no, I really am not reading it just to check up on you, or anything like that. When I read it, I’m just glad to know that someone like you is directing my childs, and all of my friends children, and even those children that I don’t know, education and helping to build the foundation that they will use for the rest of their lives. I do hope that this blog will continue to be a growing tool that you can communicate with our residents with, it also makes me wonder if this tool shouldn’t be used for the residents to interact with BOE members, as a great communication tool. After all, that is why we are here.

8. I appreciate that you take the time to put personal element to your face and position through this blog! What a wonderful way to create an entire school community with this type of leadership. Your efforts are applauded. I am a teacher with the Dearborn Public Schools in Dearborn, MI and came upon your blog via a course trhough Wayne County Resa called “23 things”. Good Luck to you!

S. Harden

9. I started reading your blog a few years ago. I’m a teacher-librarian who received her administrative certificate last year. I have your blog in my Google Reader because I like knowing what’s going on in the mind of an administrator. 😀

10. I am Melissa. I live in Lancaster, NY. I started reading when you first started your blog. I enjoy hearing the trials and tribulations of other schools and admininstrators, because I can often relate! It is all about personal connections for me. I appreciate that you are direct, ask questions and think through things so transparently. You are a good writer, and it keeps me coming back!

11. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I retired 2 years ago and have loved every minute of it. I go on line every morning to email both my kids and find out what they are doing and read your blog.
    I am most proud of both my kids and what they have accomplished and what they will continue to do and be.
    Keep on blogging, I am not in the education field, but find your blog very interesting.
    Love, Mom

12. I’m Ziggy Mormur, I live in northern Virginia and I work in the beltway. I’m Kim’s younger brother.

I read Kim’s blog because she’s my sister and because we share a lot of the same attitudes about things. Most recently the inability of many people to actually say what they mean; and from this the epidemic of everyone else wondering what we meant by what we said. It’s refreshing to be reminded that someone else speaks directly.

13. I started reading when you started blogging, what, 3 years ago? I was impressed by your clear thinking, and your openness to saying stuff out loud. You didn’t seem afraid of conversation.

Now, it’s been a long time since I’ve been moved to interact with your blogging – it’s become quite specific to your district – but I’ve wondered if you would keep the conversation running in such an open way – so I’ve never stopped watching.

I’m a NY City teacher, active in the union, active in my school. Tremendous math teacher (at least I think so!). I blog about NYC school politics, and about teaching math.

I can’t believe I’m first!

Now I’ll go back to watching quietly.