Day 2 – Switzerland

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day in Switzerland. It’s an interesting way for us to start the trip because in many ways it’s not much different from Western New York. Most, if not all, people that we encounter speak English and so our students haven’t learned yet that we can’t be arrogant Americans who just expect everyone else to speak our language, particularly when we’re guests in their countries. Tomorrow we travel to Venice Italy and I think they will learn more and more about the differences in the world. Still, it’s important to know that we’re more alike than we are different.

There’s a fascinating thing that happens on a trip like this one. As each day progresses, we see the confidence level of our students increase exponentially with each experience. There are opportunities each day to go off in small groups, have lunch, do some shopping. We give the kids an area in which to explore, we’re also in the same area, and a time/place to meet us. The only rules are that they have to be with at least one other student, preferably two, and they have to be on time.

Yesterday, a group of about five kids never left my side, went to lunch with me, and let me handle everything. Today on our lunch break, they sought me out and came along but ate at a different cafe and then went off on their own. I predict that by day five the last thing they’ll be thinking about during free time is where I am.

It’s something that strengthens every one of them, if they know it or not. It’s a gift you’ve given them without realizing it. When they return and they’re faced with unfamiliar situations in the future, they can each think, “I’ve got this. I navigated my way through the streets and cafes of Switzerland (or Italy or France) and managed to order my own meal, pay and find my way back to the meeting place.” Pretty cool, huh?

And the visit to Mount Pilatus? Indescribably incredible. Breathtaking. I am so blessed to have stood at the top of a mountain in Switzerland today. Every day of my life I feel blessed by all that I have, my family and profession, but today I was grateful just to be alive, to be strong and healthy and capable to enjoy these extraordinary moments. Life is good.

1. It looks like everyone is having a great time! Mount Pilatus looks so pretty, as do the views in the rest of the pictures. Hope the rest of the trip goes well, you’ll have to post more pictures. Tell Tallon I say “Hi and hope that he is having a great time.” See you when you get home!

2. P.S. Please tell Andrea to keep the calls coming..hopefully we won’t keep getting disconnected! I put your picture on my screensaver so I get to see you two everyday… what a wonderful place to be together – “On Top of the World”. Thank you again.

3. Thank you Kim for everything. You’re a blessing! Everyone looks like they are having a wonderful time! Do me a favor, Kim. Remind Taylor…only ONE pair of shoes!!!(ha-ha)

4. Hey,
    Thank you again Kim for doing such a wonderful job keeping us up to date with everything. Wonderful pictures and blogging….keep up the good work, I can’t begin to tell you how reassuring it is to hear from you and how great (almost) everything is going. (Great pictures too.. thank you.) Happy belated Easter and sending my blessings. Love you…Jude

5. Glad to see all of the kids in a group photo. Looks like you are having a great time. Please make sure you take a ton of pictures for us to enjoy. Enjoy the rest of your incredible journey and travel safely. Tell Dylan that his sister said “Nice sunglasses!” See you soon.

6. Hope everyone is having an awesome time, have fun, stay safe, take tons of pictures! This is a trip you will never forget! Next stop Rome!
    Derrek, your sisters say Hi, and to bring them back something cool!