Student Discipline

Our high school principal was out today and our middle school principal was scheduled for the elementary building. That means I got to handle any problems with students today and can I just say one more time how much I love that work?

I was sitting in my office analyzing data and preparing a report when the secretary ran in to tell me we had a problem outside of a teacher’s room.  I got to work with the two girls who were involved in the physical altercation, talk to their parents, handle the subsequent suspension—all duties I knew well as a high school principal. I’m obviously not happy that the girls resolved their problems in this way, but I got to spend time listening to them and talking about what happened. It’s extremely rewarding work and I just find it very interesting to talk to kids. Another student walked out of class and he and I spent time together before he went to the spend the rest of his day in ISS. I got to listen to him, to hear his story, to know and understand him just a tiny bit. It’s working one on one with students like this that I miss the most.

Principals who tire of that work because it’s often overwhelming and endless should stop and realize what a huge difference they can make. The challenge comes when they feel like they’re having the same conversations over and over with the same kids. But for one day, it’s still the best part of the job!

One Comment
  1. It’s good to know there are educators like you that feel it’s rewarding to work with students even outside the classroom. I do feel that is one of the most important aspects of a teacher. It is important for teachers to get to know their students inside the classroom as well as outside the classroom. You made an excellent point by saying some principles tire off their work because it is sometimes overwhelming, but it is crucial for them to realize what differences they are making. Thanks for the blog, I appreciate your care for your students because listening to children and helping them face challenges is the best part of being an educator!