Randolph’s “Jack Wax”

So mixed in with budget preparation for last night’s BOE meeting, I got to go to the Inkley’s Sugar Farm yesterday with our kindergarten students. We got the deluxe tour, learning how the trees are tapped and how the sap becomes that delicious maple syrup we all love. Listen to this–they set up picnic tables outside and served all of us waffles with syrup and sausage. As if that wasn’t enough, every child took home a bottle of maple syrup to remember the day! The generosity of this family was incredible. My favorite was the warm syrup drizzled on snow, I think they called it “jack wax” and I could have eaten it all.

This is the best possible type of field trip, right in our backyard hosted by our friends and neighbors. I still remember a field trip my first grade class took to Turner Dairy Farm in Pennsylvania–it was a whole other world than I knew, but right in our own backyard. 

I really had too much work to do yesterday to justify going with our kids, but it was a good opportunity for me to get to know our students, teachers and parents a little bit better. As usually happens when I’m with the primary grade students, I left thinking I’d missed the boat by not teaching elementary ed all of these years. The students I got to ride on the bus with were amazing. There’s just no way to feel but upbeat and positive when spending a morning with five year olds!

Over and over again, I’m blown away by our phenomenal students at Randolph. I can’t stop writing about it. From the interviews they’ve done with me to the kindergarten trip to the musical to the PTA Academic Fair to our school receiving this award for our sportsmanship from Rich Hill and the Catt County Officials,

Each year the Cattaraugus County Basketball Officials recognize the one school in the county which displays the best sportsmanship. This includes both girls and boys contests and encompasses varsity, JV, and modified levels. The actions of coaches, players, and fans are considered. We have several schools with excellent sportsmanship, but none were as fine as Randolph for the 2008-2009 season.
To recognize this significant accomplishment, the Cattaraugus County Basketball Officials would like to present you with a banner between the girls and boys exceptional seniors game on Thursday, March 26 at Olean High. The time would be approximately 7:30. On behalf of the Catt. County Officials, I would like to congratulate everyone involved.

Way to go Randolph! I’m proud of you and thank you for continually making us look great. It’s easy to expect the best of you because you just keep delivering it. We need to never take this for granted–I know I’m not! And just think, about the time those kindergarten students are ready to graduate, I’ll be eligible for retirement. We’ve got a good long way to go together. 😉