Back To Teacher, Briefly

For the past three weeks I’ve been teaching Spanish to our high school juniors and seniors. This may not seem like much to write home about (or in this case to blog about) until I tell you that it’s been nine years since I taught Spanish. I’ve been an administrator since the 99-00 school year and honestly didn’t think I’d be teaching Spanish again, well, ever. As these things usually go, our Spanish teacher went out on a medical leave and the principal had one heck of a time finding a certified sub to replace her. Once a certified sub was secured, we learned she couldn’t start until 10:00 every day. This is where I came in since that left first and third periods without a proper teacher. In the best interest of the students, it just made sense for me to rearrange my schedule and step in.

Doesn’t seem like the best use of our administrative staff? The need to step in and do the right thing for our students, when there was no one else, seemed more important to me than worrying about the judgmental response some would have about an assistant superintendent in the classroom for two periods per day over the course of about three weeks. Our business is educating students and sometimes that takes every member of the team working out of the normal “bracket”.

I have to say that I loved the time I spent with our students.

As a teacher, I was also reminded of how annoying it can be to have to stop and deal with a late pass or a phone call from the office–right when I’ve got things rolling and everyone on track. I kept a student from reporting to the office until the end of my class period and asked two students to wait to attend their band lessons until after I’d introduced the new material. Taking attendance at the beginning of a class period is NOT a good warm up activity, so I forgot to commit it to eSchool a couple of times. Honestly, with the interruptions that we have to instruction, we’ve got to be guarded about our class time. And someone please tell me why commiting every student’s grade to a progress report can’t be a one button click away? Typing each student’s average over again in the progress report tab of eSchool certainly seemed to be an unnecessary chore and one that allows for error when the average is one tab over and should just flow to the progress report.

Am I sounding like a teacher again? This past three weeks,  I was very much the teacher I was in the nineties, only I had some additional strategies to use that I’ve learned along the way as an administrator. The same thing that helped me succeed with students before came into play again. I showed them that I cared so much about their success that I was going to use every minute to our fullest advantage, I was going to give them my best, and I expected their best every day.

That’s honestly the secret to success as a teacher.  Show enthusiasm for the subject but more important, for the students. SEE every student. If someone starts to drift away, reign him in by saying, “You’re in the Bahamas, come back to me because I need for you to learn this!” Give enough wait time so that the same five kids don’t answer every time. Monitor. Adjust. 

I saw it as my responsibility to plan well, to engage, to excite the students–every one of them. And on test day? I got their best because they knew it’s what I expected, what I saw in them, and what I tried to give back to them every day.

All of our district wide curriculum planning and staff development in instructional strategies doesn’t account for much if we don’t start with the premise that it’s our job as teachers to expect the best of our students, and more important, of ourselves. I’ve been hearing teachers complain that students aren’t motivated any more. That was not my experience, granted, with some really great kids in Spanish 4 & 5. But they were excellent for me, did all that I asked, and achieved success. We didn’t argue about cell phones, or missing assignments, or hoodies. We couldn’t because we were too busy getting down to the business of learning.

1. I have to agree that the mundane things of a classroom repeatedly takes away the value of classroom time and needs to be guarded. Sometimes, this short period of time to teach does get distracted by all sorts of interruptions. I hate this when trying to present new thoughts, ideas and creativity to my students. A click of a button can take care of everything if technology can be used to it’s fullest.

2. This is a GREAT use of your time. We have a similar situation at my site. With the nasty economic situation, the district was really avoiding doing any hiring, so they made us wait until after the first week before they let us open up an upper grade class to see how many students we had (so there were classes with 43 students in them). Then, no one in the teacher pool who had a class closed would take it, so then we had to post it, and we hired someone but DoJ hasn’t cleared their prints. We started after Labor Day, so we’re eight weeks in. They had a sub leave a few weeks back, so the Asst. Principal took over the class, and it’s a pain, but it’s the best thing for the kids.

3. Hey Kim! Watching you plan those lessons and want to embed what you have learned since you left the classroom was a real treat for me!! And knowing that you wanted the best for those kids is what makes you an inspiring leader, the best kind of leader. And since you tried to use so many of the strategies that your teachers learned this week – you will be that much better of a coach for the “students” that you have now!!

4. I applaud your willingness to step in and get back into the classroom. I had to smile at all the little things that frsutrated you that teachers have to do in the classroom! Our administration will send us a “reminder” email if we are not posting our attendance as soon as they think we should and it does deem like the forget about everything that needs to happen to start off a lesson right! I asked my writing students today to journal about what would happen in their parents lived their lives for one day. Would their parents’s view of thier lives change? I wonder what would happen if all the administration took some time to be back in the classroom!

It also really hit home as you discuss how to motivate the students and expect the best from them. I sometimes feel as if I am the sole idealist in a sea of ambivelance. It was reaffriming to hear again what good teaching and successful teaching was all about.

5. Very refreshing to read your thoughts on teaching!

Those years out of the classroom gave you a novel perspective, and the return to the classroom seems to have inspired some great insight.

More administrators should model good teaching!

6. I have enjoyed reading your blog. I am truly impressed that you would step in to teach Spanish even though you are a busy administrator. I often wonder if I would be a better teacher for all the things I’ve learned in the 8 years I’ve been out of the classroom. Why is it that the most important things I learned were learned after I left? I now know what to look for in classroom teacher as an observer, but often wonder if I would “measure up” if I went back to the classroom. I agree with your statements about showing that you care about your students learning and SEEING every student. Too many times students can slip through unnoticed for 12 years. I know, I have a son that only one teacher noticed and tried to communicate with my son in his entire 12 year career. Wonder why he hated school so much?

7. I went from teaching 6/10 of a program to teaching a full program last term – first time in five years. It was exhausting!

Bahamas, huh? Once someone’s been in the classroom, the corny lines seem so natural…