More to it Than Winning

Whenever our high school athletes compete in regular season and play-off games, I think they learn about much more than the technical aspects of the sport. The athletic field can be a place to learn about team work, sportsmanship, heart and how to win/lose gracefully.

I would be much more disappointed if our athletes and coaches did not conduct themselves with dignity and class than if they lose. Our Boys Varsity Lacrosse team played a play off game last night at a neighboring school. Our boys lost. I know our coach and players and I know from all reports that they lost with dignity and class.

When the opposing team, the winning team, rallies their players by posting a sign that says “Make ’em cry boys” and then plays the song “Big Girls Don’t Cry” over  the PA system at the conclusion of the game, three times in succession, it shows a definite lack of dignity and class. It reflects poorly on the coaches and the school. I’ll take a loss over that kind of behavior any day of the week.

Thank you Gowanda Lacrosse athletes, coaches and parents for teaching our boys what it means to become men, the right way.

1. I agree with you about it is the adults that set the example. I spoke to other staff and players about this inappropriate behavior. I asked the players to be better winners. it is strange off the feild the students are friends. I hope that they can be better. setting the right example as adults is always the most important.

Congratulations the the baseball team, and good luck!!!!!

2. Amanda, Thank you for replying from another school’s point of view. I can imagine that someone here may now read your response and want to set the record straight about what you remember happening. That’s the problem with on-going rivalries between schools that can continue for years, it just keeps getting “ramped up”, everyone sees it from their own point of view and the events of a game get told time and again, sometimes without accuracy. When a single player, or two, makes a mistake, I expect the behavior to be corrected by the coach and the parents, if possible. You can easily see where the song could easily be interpreted as a dis on an opposing school, rather than as a rally song.

My point here continues to be that it’s up to schools to work together and for the adults to model appropriate behavior. I have tremendous respect for the administrators and teachers who I know personally from Salamanca and expect the best from both sides.

3. Kim, although I completely agree with you about a team have class and can win gracefully, i don’t feel you have all the facts about the game. The sign came about from gowanda’s first playoff game they won, where the team they beat was upset and crying. A Gowanda player yelled out after the game to members of Salamanca’s team “Let’s make Salamanca cry” I do not agree how Salamanca responded to this, it was inappropriate, but it was first brought out by Gowanda. The song is because they have a play they call big girls don’t cry, that is a rally theme for them. it helps them to remember to be always proud no matter what.
    I also want to mention at the recent Sectional playoff game on Friday June 6th the broadcast of the Start Spangled Banner cut out and the Salamanca Warriors finished singing the song.