Value Added Training

I am at Erie 2 BOCES today with our elementary principal, Janice Stokes, and our middle school consultant teacher, Diana Palcic. We are here to learn about and implement Value-Added Analysis from Heather T. Adams, facilitator from the Capital Region BOCES. I’m intrigued by the start to this five day training because it isn’t all about the data yet. Instead, Heather starts the training with a discussion about the flat digital world in which we live and how it impacts our students and schools. Participants in this group gather from nine different school districts and two BOCES. Their opinions differ about technology and its role in our schools from “we’ve been good the way we are” to “how will we ever get up to speed in schools for a three year old learner who’s got her own website now.”

As the session progresses, we begin to look at the progress measurement across subjects within a year for a third grade cohort. Based on prior achievement, what does a year’s worth of growth look like? Sounds simple, right? It’s not, it’s extremely confusing and I’m not sure if it’s me, the presenter, or the topic. Maybe if I move to the front of the room, I’ll get it through proximity.

The conference is moving along because our presenter shows a video that explains the “big picture” of value added—something I need for my own learning. Following are notes blogged from this conference.

Value added analysis helps us to measure the individual progress of students. Children enter the classrooms at different levels, above, at, and below grade levels. We need to help all students progress during a school year, “adding value” through student progress and student achievement.

Achievement is measured by a student’s performance at a single point in time, relates to the student’s family background and compares the student to a standard. Progress measures between two points in time and compares students’ performance to their own past performance.  Progress measures allow us to set reasonable goals at the school level. State accountability systems should be looking at the progress that individual students make in addition to achievement.

Value Added Analysis evaluates this progress.  With value added information teachers can monitor their students’ progress and make adjustments to teaching to give the most growth to their students. This should be used as a diagnostic tool, measuring the impact of their educational practices and make better informed decisions about where to focus their resources, curriculum and best practices.  

“Value added analysis confirms that teachers make a big difference.” Now we’re talking, I can understand where we’re headed with this conference.

We will work on grades 3-8 data, the Regents data is not part of this plan yet. As my good colleagues are explaining to me, we are in on the ground floor of an analysis that is expected to be mandated by 2010-2011. It’s important that we begin to look at data in the way New York State will expect, but it’s more important that we use this analysis as an opportunity to look at our students’ progress in a way that will help us to monitor and adjust teaching to help all of our kids maximize their growth.

If we can learn more about the progress our students are making, or not making, we can make more meaningful adjustments than through our current method of achievement focused testing on that single day in time.

1. I think it’s a step in the right direction. One of the biggest questions I get from teachers while analyzing data from year to year within a grade level is, “last year’s fourth graders are not this year’s fourth graders, is it really fair to compare them.”

With value-added, I think there is more recognition placed on the idea that a group of students starting at A will get to Z at a different rate than a group of students starting a C or D. They’re all going to the same place, but there are different rates of getting there. A year’s growth is GROWTH.

2. I’m glad that there is attention being paid to this subject. Last year, the 7th grade ELA results were not exactly what I had been hoping for. However, after I’d analyzed all of the scores, I realized that there were 19 students who missed a score of 3 by 3 points or less. (That’s equivelant to 1 mulitple choice question and 1 piece of the editing task.) When I looked at those 19 students, close to half of them had raised their score from a low 2 to a high 2. They had made tremendous progress and it frustrated me that there was no attention paid to that.

3. Kim,
    You summed up the ‘Value-Added’ training well. It has the potential – provided we eventually include data from several more assessments.
    Good to see you! I caught up on my blog reading today and came across one of your previous posts from Melissa regarding your job duties. I can so relate to the loneliness of a central office position! What resonated most was the work load. I find myself spending too much time in my office and not getting into classrooms more. Yet, as someone only part time, it becomes increasingly difficult to tear away from the paperwork, planning and organizing.
    I look foward to your blogs and hope you will continue. They are always thought provoking!