Blogging Blocked

Blogging has been a professional practice for me for over a year now. As I’ve been transitioning into a new position this summer, somehow I’ve lost that practice. I’m not really sure why, if it’s that I just haven’t gotten into the groove of the new job or if superintendents (and assistants, in my case) have different responsibilities that just don’t lend themselves to blogging. Maybe this is why our own superintendent has struggled with writing on his blog. I’m definitely experiencing some sort of “blogger’s block”.

I have more new territory to consider than before so the practice of blogging to define my thoughts would be helpful. Maybe it’s that I’m actually mourning the loss of my principal position. It bothers me that I won’t be opening school for “my” teachers and kids this year. At the same time that I’m working on new initiatives and learning this new job, I’m conscious of my old duties too and my brain keeps drifting back to them.

I’m confident that my replacement will do as well or better than I did. I have known that the responsibility for our 9-12 building, and every person in it,  ultimately rests squarely on my shoulders. That’s a big job to give up. And heck, the guy just started a week ago. As he picks up steam and assumes those duties that I’m concerned about, I’ll be able to mentally leave the job to him.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  1. Hi Kim,

I agree with Lisa. I’ve gotten some wonderful ideas and insight from you about our district. It will also be helpful to hear from you as you make the transition and take on your new role. Good luck and see you tuesday!

2. I’m now one month into a very similar transition period, and it has gotten better! My replacement is calling less and less; I’m settling in to my new role more and more. I do hope you’ll keep the blog going. It’s so interesting to read first-hand accounts of instructional efforts in other districts, and I’ve gotten some great ideas from you.

3. Kimberly, rather than question yourself as a blogger (you’re an excellent communicator, BTW), you might analyze how your blog will change with your new responsibilities.

You have a bigger picture to consider now, and your supe has an even bigger one. I think that accommodating the scope of your responsibilities and aligning that with your forum here will break the logjam.

If any administrators have a web presence outside their own school in my district, I’m unaware of it. I’ve kept a low profile because my blog has been a learning experiment for me. (Anyone reading my stuff thoroughly could follow the bread crumbs and figure out that I’m a board member who spent well over two decades in the same system.) My opinion is offered here with the accompanying humility.

I continue to encourage our supe, and one of these days, he’s going to see the potential for this sort of communication. He’s phenomenally effective in person, and if he applied just 10-15 minutes a day to a twice-a-week blog, I can only imagine the support he could generate for the district.

Speaking of time frames, no one says you have to entertain an audience daily. Blog for yourself with information that will be of use to patrons of the district and to your teachers.

Your audience will see you walking the walk, and sense your humanity, it can be nothing but good for attitude and morale.

I could be full of beans, but I don’t think so. 😉

4. You had the opportunity of being a principal in two different districts and had a lot of time to build a strong identity with that role… it became a part of you.

Perhaps as you develop your identity in this new role, you’ll be jilted by a practice or belief you feel compelled to blog about. I agree with the previous post… don’t force it. Let it come to you.