Think BLUE

Do you think it makes sense to pay more for something, just to give it more school spirit? We’re putting in a new track and I’m really thinking it’s worth some extra money initially and in upkeep to get a Gowanda BLUE track.

Why? Because it’s on a prominent corner in our village and when residents, students, and opposing teams drive down the road and see Hillis Field, I want them to think “Gowanda Panthers play here!” I want it to smack them in the face–Gowanda BLUE and WHITE. I think the blue track shows school pride and I think we’re worth it. I’m tired of sitting in a gym that’s generic, where visitors could literally look around and wonder where they are except for the gorgeous new scorers table we got this year. And our new facility will be incredible, why not add the frosting on the cake?

We need a field that screams, “Go Panthers! The Blue and the White, Straight to the Top, We Will Fight!”

1. Kim, A blue track would be wonderful. anything to get the school sprit pumped. this past winter sports season I was coaching Cheerleading. i have visited many gyms. i always felt a little intimated when i visited a school with a lot of spirit showing. a blue track will be wonderful for teh students and staff to get pumped for events. Amanda

2. I TOTALLY agree that although the initial cost and routine maintenance will be higher, there needs to be something that screams PANTHER PRIDE and what better place than the completely renovated Hillis Field??!!! We have gone to such extremes to make this a district of distinction (new campus facilities, fiscal responsibility, new programs, increased accountability, etc.) why would we NOT put the “sprinkles” on top? Why take the cake (if I might borrow your metaphor) out of the oven when it’s only half-baked? It might just give the track teams a shot in the arm to have the privilege of performing in such a beautiful arena — some of that “swagger” you’ve been speaking of.
    I’ve listened to the arguments both for and against and I can certainly see both sides, but those shying away because it will take more elbow grease need to step up – that’s all part of the job. Every working person has to adjust to change, additional duties and added responsibilties if they wish to remain employed.
    Plus, it’s just plain prettier! Yep, I said it! It IS much more pleasing to the eye than a black track.
    According to my artsy friend, color evokes emotion and inspires a drive and spirit that ‘blacktop black’ simply cannot!
    Fight, fight, fight for BLUE and WHITE!
    N.

3. I agree, too. I was sad at first to see the field I grew up cheering on from Little League Packers to High School Panthers gone just like that. Now, as I see how great it looks…I am jealous and excited for the future athletes of Gowanda. (My boys included!) We should be proud of our colors BLUE and WHITE. A blue track? Now, that is cool!

4. I agree. Blue is the way to go…you only get this chance once in a lifetime, why not go all the way?

5. Kim,
    You are a breath of fresh air and a great asset to our school. Students respect and look to you as a role model. “I’m proud of our school!” Every day when driving past the field, I marvel at the progress. I wish my boys could have played on our new field. Give the field that sparkle and let it shine! Robbie