G-Town Show Down

Our third annual G-Town Show Down was another huge success today, showcasing our kids in a big way. This is a great opportunity for our kids to shine, especially for those students who excel in something other than school sports and activities. A couple of terrific bands, a great teacher band–they ROCKED–and Kelly D. stole the show with her 1st place winning song.

Once again, I love the G-Town Show Down! And I love the guts and the talent of every kid who got up there.

1. That’s an easy question to answer Lisa because basically everyone gets in. The only elimination this year came for those students who planned to sing along to a song. We required that they get the track without the vocals, so that we can hear them. That eliminated about three-four kids. I’m terrible at the “try-outs” because I can’t say no to anyone. For me, it’s all about allowing kids to show what they’ve got. I originally started the show concept at Randolph because I had a small group of heavy metal guys in a band, Post Mortem, who weren’t really connected to the school. Asking them to play at the Randolph Rumble made them a part of our school, along with all of their “groupies”. They no longer had to be a jock to fit in–they had the opportunity to show what made them special. I saw them participate in academics and phys ed after that show, eventually graduating. All about the connections.