G-Town Salutes the Armed Forces

Our Fall Band Concert was tonight for grades 5-12. As always, it was wonderful–everything from fifth graders who have been playing for three months to a terrific jazz band that includes three of our teachers. The auditorium was packed and everyone seemed to enjoy the concert. Our music programs have always helped G-Town shine the brightest.

I’ve worked in four districts over my eighteen years in education and we have something that happens at our Fall concert that I think is unique to G-Town. At the beginning of our concerts, our concert choir performs the National Anthem and the members of our local American Legion and VFW participate with a presentation of Colors. The concert concludes with the Armed Forces Salute and as our 9-12 Band plays, each flag is presented. Members of our audience who have served stand as their flag is presented. It is unusual and inspiring.

It’s unusual because it takes our 5-12 concert and turns it into a community event. It’s inspiring because it teaches every child in attendance that our veterans, our country, and our flag are meant to be honored and respected. The presentation and removal of Colors is a formal and serious part of our concert, and it teaches our students something important about service and about patriotism.

It also teaches each of us that we’re part of something much bigger than our school community, and that’s a good place to be.

1. I know this is after the fact, but as a Vietnam era Navy vet and the son of a career WWII Army vet I appreciate the annual tribute paid to vets. Also the concert this year was the best I’ve seen at GHS, not least of all because both my kids played.;)

The point I think is very important to make is that the color guard that presents the colors and service flags is getting older every year. Few of them appear to be of the Vietnam era or younger. Most appear to be from the WWII or Korean War era. Or, as Tom Brokaw dubbed them, “The Greatest Generation”.

I don’t think young people today have much of an appreciation of the fact that that generation pretty much created the world we live in today. They came of age during the great depression, perhaps the worst era the US has seen in terms of economic deprivation. I look back at photos of my father’s youth in the “dust bowl” and notice that the most prominent feature is how thin and poorly clad everyone was. It’s hard to believe there was such hunger in this country so few years before my own birth. It was a hard scrabble existence, but after Pearl Harbor they lined up around the block to volunteer to fight and die for their country. The entire economic and social structure of a nation was mobilized to serve the needs of the war machine that saved the world from Nazi oppression and Japanese expansion. The combatants were mostly men, but women signed up to be nurses, WAC’s and WAVE’s serving in support forces often in combat situations. Also, women were the backbone of the industrial revolution that built the war machine. Remember Rosie the Riveter? After that the soldiers, sailors and marines came home and, with the women who led the way for the modern feminist movement, built the greatest industrial and economic power the world has ever known, and not coincidentally, helped rebuild Germany and Japan into the great nations they are today.

I don’t know how much of this history is a part of today’s curriculum, but it ought to be stressed. Perhaps next year some way can be found to honor people of that generation while there is still time to do so during their lifetimes.

2. THANK YOU KIM, IM A VETERAN AND WISH MORE PEOPLE COULD UNDERSTAND THE COMMITMENT WE MADE FOR OUR COUNTRY. COACH HEWITT

3. Thank you so much for honoring those who have served. I know first-hand about the sacrifices our military members have made and continue to make every day. I’m a 20-year Air Force veteran. Though I retired in 2003, I’m back in uniform to teach JROTC at one of our local high schools (Eau Gallie). I’m in my first year at the school and I can tell you, it’s such a worth-while program. I have almost 100 students and the majority of them feel like this is their home away from home…it’s where they fit in. They are required to wear their uniforms once a week, but more importantly, we provide a program that inspires them to be community-minded. Our Color Guard is requested throughout the year to post the Colors at various events throughout the community. The kids are so proud to be members of this team. It teaches them citizenship, discipline, teamwork, and so much more. It really is an incredible program.

The biggest struggle I’m having this year is trying to “save” the students who are tetering between wanting to be part of this program, but refusing to comply with our uniform requirements (mainly cutting their hair–the young men). If they don’t wear their uniform once a week, they are pretty much guaranteed to fail the course. I tried many one-on-one talks and even calling parents. But, peer pressure prevailed. It’s difficult for me to watch because I know how much they would benefit from this class if they were fully engaged. But, I’m assuming educators run into this plight every year with students who choose not to reach their potential. I’m sorry for turning this comment into my own plight. Thank you again for honoring veterans and teaching your students to do the same. It means so much to me.

4. Having covered events in Gowanda for a while now, I’ve noticed that the local color guard is seen at quite a few functions and events. The fact that the guard itself is willing to be such a presence in the village is also testament to it as well as the entire village’s sense of community as a whole.

Nice new design, by the way. It eliminated that one grammar nazi-ish error I was going to tell you about.