Students step up

We have five seniors coming to our BOE (Board of Education) meeting tonight to interview for a student seat on the BOE. I’m not sure what questions our BOE members will ask of them, but I’m pleased and proud to see that each student feels committed enough to G-Town to spend several hours twice a month talking about it. And hopefully, the student member will be listening and learning too.

To be completely honest, at first discussion I couldn’t really see why the BOE was looking for this input. After all, I’m at every meeting and I work hard to represent their needs and interests. I’m looking out for each student here. But hey, I’m an adult with my own slant on things and my own perspective. I talk about listening and learning and I give students a strong voice within the building, why not on the BOE? I’m glad the BOE members pushed on this one and I can’t wait to see what perspective a student member on the BOE brings to the discussions. I wonder what influence they’ll have? I wonder what I’ll learn.