I Can’t Drive 55

If by some odd chance you’re reading me and you’re not reading Will Richardson at weblogg-ed, you’re missing the writing that most challenges me to do more, to move faster, to make a bigger difference. In this latest post, Will talks about the change that’s necessary,

We go back and forth in this community about whether teachers who use blogs should blog, or podcast or read RSS feeds. I’ve always hesitated to come down on one side or the other in that debate for a variety of reasons. But it’s become clear to me that the answer has to be yes. If you are an educator, I think you have little choice but to choose option 3 in the Marco Torres mantra: “You can complain, quit or innovate.” I know in many ways it stinks to have to be an educator at a moment in history when things are changing on a glacial scale. But what you signed up for is preparing kids for their futures. You have little choice but to deal.

Why won’t our kids be as well served if we don’t change ourselves? I mean we’re all products of the system, right? We all did ok. Things were changing when we went through school, right? Um, no. Not like this.

I don’t think it stinks to be an educator at this time. I think it’s the most empowering, exciting and energizing place we could possibly be for anyone who wants to make a real difference for kids, to do something important, to change for the better. Will Richardson keeps me from ever becoming complacent and that’s needed for all of us to keep moving forward.

Even if we’re racing, we’ll never go fast enough to keep up with the Web. In this race, some are home watching, some are buying tickets and showing up, and others are on the track. (Yeah, yeah, some don’t even know there’s a race on.) Me? I’d like to be on the track in an AC Cobra, with a 427 side-oiler–that ought to get G-Town there. Honestly though, I’m just moving up from the cheap seats. You’re driving now Will, but you won’t have to stay in the driver’s seat forever, we’ll get there.