What is a prism?

You have to check out these 7th grade math videos and voice threads on Mr. Olson’s wiki! The voice threads are first, but don’t stop there, be sure to watch the videos too.  I’m not sure about you but I wish I had learned all of the terms of geometry in this way–looking for examples and creating a video. I visited Mr. Olson’s outstanding classes on the day they were watching the videos.  They had to peer grade their classmates’ presentations, looking for all 8 terms, with accurate definitions, examples and creativity. Think of the reinforcement of the content as the students watched with focus.

This is the kind of learning that will best prepare our students for the future: kids were collaborating, communicating, assessing and analyzing information, using their imagination and creating. And by the way, they were learning the content too, in meaningful ways that will stick with them.

If you’re wondering what’s happening with learning at RCS, I can assure you this is just one example of the amazing opportunities our students find every day. RCS Teachers and Students Rock!

1. The students of Mr. Olson’s class have made some excellent learning tools. I do much work on helping teachers incorporate Differentiated Instruction in Michigan. I plan on sharing the link to Mr. Olson’s class to teachers and administrators, as it shows both how students can explore and develop their learning, and how the products themselves become instructional tools for future students. Thanks for sharing.