Success and Productivity

Okay gentlemen, I’m pretty sure that Kelly, Chris, and Brian have all tagged me in a meme within the last couple of insane weeks. I’m not sure I have an exclusive on the 7 Secrets to Success meme, but lately, I’ve been thinking the secret to success lies in being genuine, a bona fide original, whatever that might be.

For most of my teenage and adult life I’ve been trying to correct some behaviors that have suddenly seemed much more like assets than liabilities. Every time I’ve ever written down goals over my entire life time, there’s been something in there about keeping quiet, not speaking my mind all of the time, being less direct, more subtle. Keeping my mouth shut. 

It’s as if, at 43, all of the things I’ve been trying to fix about myself are suddenly the things that get noticed, in a positive way. Who knew?

To this day, I’ll enter a meeting, like the Regional Forum on Native American drop out rates this week, and I’ll swear to myself that I’m going to keep quiet, play it safe, listen, let others take the lead. I don’t think I’ve ever lasted more than twenty minutes. Honestly. Impossible.

I’ve endeavored to be “more professional” like other administrators, tried to be more of a “suit”. I’ve worried that I’ll never make a good superintendent because I’ll never be able to play the political game.

So 7 Secrets to Success for me? I guess just being myself, finding a great fit, and getting old enough that the smart mouth I had as a teenager has developed into what’s now termed a strong voice. Nice.

And the productivity meme? I have the most kick butt secretary in the world who’s really my partner, she’s the secret to my productivity. Sue and my compulsion to clear my desk, my emails and my voice mails before leaving every day. Starting the next day fresh is the only way I can keep my brain clear–that’s how I stay productive. And blogging, getting thoughts onto this blog and out of my head. And forget the random facts meme, I’ve got too much going on to even fathom that one. Maybe in July, when I’m more productive. 

One Comment
  1. It must be something of the times. I have said the exact same things when going into a meeting or something similar. “I’ll just listen. I’ll take notes and nod like the rest.” Then it happens – someone begins something and before you know it I’ve waded in. I’ve often thought the same about my chances of being a superintendent or director but, the way I look at it, why wouldn’t someone want a person with some thoughts and ideas in the front office? Wouldn’t that be the place to get things really going? Not that I’d consider myself a squeaky wheel but I will stand up for what I think is right for students while also telling parents that their child has some done something and we need to deal with it. I’ve been known to offend a person or two because of what I have said and I’ve had to take my licks for making mistakes and such but it has made me a better leader, a better person, a better father, husband and son. I believe that the only way to be a somewhat successful administrator is to be able to articulate what you believe and to not be afraid to have an opinion and voice it. At 41, things just aren’t going to change drastically but I will continue to learn and continue to grow. I will continue to learn new ways to articulate to people about my passionate belief that public schools can be the best place for our children if we but listen to the students and teachers about what learning should entail. Right now, too many government officials with job creation on their minds. Great post!