Wanted: Teachers

Maybe it’s because we’re getting ready to post and advertise our teaching positions that are open for next year, but Will Richardson hit a nerve with me in his post The Next Generation of Teachers.

Will talks about a conversation on educational technologies that he had with a group of graduate students in education. Will writes,

The general sense from the group was “yeah, but” once again. Yeah, but we have these kids who are going to abuse these technologies if we open them up. Yeah, but we’re going to be out there on our own if we decide to use these technologies. Yeah, but I don’t have enough time to make this a part of my own practice. Yeah, but, etc. (And please, if any of those in attendance are reading this, feel free to chime in.) At one point I said something along the lines of “you know, there’s a lot of pressure on you in my circles because many people think nothing is going to change until the old guard retires out and you guys take over.” Well, that didn’t float very well. I got the sense that most didn’t want to accept that challenge or felt it was just too daunting. And at another point, after going through a list of reasons why using these ideas were going to be difficult, I said “yes, but you know there is nothing stopping you from changing the way you learn.” Not sure how well that went over, eith

In considering graduate students in education, Will’s post made me really stop and think about the interview process. When I search for a new teacher, do I have a preconceived model of a teacher in my mind? Of course I do, we all do. Is it an outdated model?  I’m going to seriously reconsider what that model is from now on. Like everyone, I look for content expertise, experience, a practical knowledge of pedagogy, technology skills, and a sense that the person will connect with our kids, among other things.

From this point forward, I’m going to seek out candidates who have done something with their lives outside of going to high school, getting a teaching degree, and returning to school. I want teachers who have lived a little, who have shown a deep passion and curiosity for something, heck, for anything. As I commented on Will’s post,

I’m completely exasperated by the collective resistance to change in every arena. Why is it so incredibly hard? Why are so many people completely comfortable residing in the status quo? I agree with Dan, the current teacher candidates probably became teachers because they’re comfortable in the system as it is. I should start trying to hire teachers who weren’t successful in school. I’ll add interview questions that ask, “what did you hate when you were in school and why?” “What do you want to do differently?” “What do you think and what are you curious about?”

I know our teacher candidates aren’t any farther ahead than we are–it takes curiosity, guts, and determination–and that’s available at any age.

Yep, just added those questions to my interview list. So listen up, teacher candidates, I just revealed three interview questions that you can prepare for in advance. But oh yeah, you had to be interested enough in our school and smart enough to use technology to your advantage in order to get here and read this post.  And if you’re too “traditional” to even understand a blog, better luck next time.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  1. Pingback: pedersondesigns » Blog Archive » Looking for Work…

2. Kimberly,
    Love your post – will you consider moving out to Massachusetts? We need more innovative principals in this area! Even the fact that you are so transparent on your blog speaks volumes.
    To Chris,
    You ask why would anyone pursue teaching at this point? To me, it is the most exciting time ever to be an educator! Look at all the tools and resources that are available in unprecedented ways. It is possible to engage students in ways never before possible. (Of course, I know that YOU know that!)
    I am an instructor in a graduate program for Special Education and infuse the technology throughout my entire course. My students so got Web2.0 and brought it back to their classrooms and to their schools. It’s a ripple effect, but it’s got to begin somewhere.
    Karen

3. Kimberly,
    I really didn’t expect much different from the up and coming teachers. At our school, we have had intern-teachers for the last three years that I have been principal. I have yet to see any real innovation in any of them. No one goes out on the limb, no one is really trying new things. But, maybe it isn’t them. Maybe it is the training universities that need to be shook up. Maybe we need to redesign these departments and make sure everyone who is in them knows what a blog is and can use a wiki, podcast, vodcast and other web2.0 materials. Jus the other day I scared my IT person by suggesting we check out something like Zoho or eyeOS instead of reinvesting in more MSOffice. (I love when they get that guppy gulp face going 😉 But really, we need to look at how this next generation of teachers is being trained. Are they being allowed to experiment and challenge? Yes highstakes demands that teachers make sure content is covered but it can be covered without killing the love of learning in the student.
    Your questions will rock the interview process. Maybe we need more people who weren’t good at school or, like me, didn’t always walk the tight and narrow. It’s funny how I watch my students and those who are pushing the boundaries often remind me of the people that I knew in school. Not disrespectful, most of the time, but willing to challenge, using the appropriate methods, when we didn’t agree with policies and willing to take our consequences if we felt it was important enough. Hey, we did some other stuff too.

Good luck with your search. Let me know how many fall off their chairs? I’d love to see their faces 🙂

4. Kim – I have been impressed with your leadership throughout the past eight months. I agree that the type of questions asked in an interview need to include an exploration into a candidates willingness to utilize their individual creative capacities. How about a question that asks the candidate if they were the building principal, how would they help to promote infusing technology in a classroom, a department, and a building? Maybe a question like this would give some insight into the candidates perception of their role into the ownership of change? A candidate that does not recognize they have a role, and relies upon administration to provide a specific direction, may not have the individual initiative necessary in this day and age. We do not need anymore lemmings in the profession.

Keep up the great thought, in time, G-town will reap the benefits of your .
    work.

Pat

5. You are so right. But as I struggle to not teach math the way I was taught, I look around, and there are few examples for me to follow. You know that I try new ideas all the time, but it is hard, because I’ve never seen it done, never seen how it works, so it’s a constant experiment. I find that I often have to look outside my department to find new ideas, and see if they will work in a math classroom. I fight my urge to be like Mr. Schlaegater everyday, and I loved that man!

6. Right on, Kimberly. I love the way your interview questions shake things up and set a tone that challenges the status quo. Have you read Miguel Guhlin’s post about blogging’s role in professional development?

http://www.edsupport.cc/mguhlin/archives/2007/03/entry_2963.htm

He asks:”What are administrators doing to create environments that support teacher construction of personal learning networks?

Glad to be able to point to your good example. . .

7. This topic is very timely. I am currently enjoying some down time at the NYS Social Studies convention. As I read the program to decide which classes I was going to attend, my goal was to find those that promoted 21st century skills. Luckily, I was able to find one or two. But I must share one presentation in particular. His name is Bill Reilly. I posted about him on my blog. Here’s the link if you are interested. http://nlcommunities.com/communities/mjdudek/default.aspx

8. I’m really not surprised by the reaction folks have to Will. In this era of “accountability,” why would ANYONE want to go out on a limb and innovate? (And yes, I know that I’m talking to someone who, like me, tries to do so every day.)

Here’s the follow-up question that keeps me up at night, given the increasing levels of teacher-bashing, curriculum-mandates, high-stakes testing… who will be the next generation of teachers and administrators? Why would someone young, bright and passionate go into teaching today when all of the media message about teaching is one that would discourage anyone with a sense of innovation from coming into the profession?

9. It is good to see leardership participating in the conversation.

You’re right we do need to look for candidates that have passion, but we also need to make a firm, commitment to catching up the rest of the staff. I don’t think my school is ready for 21 Cent Skills, but we can do a better job of teaching and modeling good learning behaviors. Sprinkle in more digital literacy opportunities and you may have your staff teaching newcomers in no time.

Take Care
    Ken