Are We There Yet?

Yesterday I posted about invitations that are coming my way based on my work on this blog. Miguel, Brian, Chris and Rick all comment in ways that show they get my question. Miguel and Brian mentioned the possibility that this could lead to something else, something bigger, something beyond principal or superintendent.

I don’t think there is anything bigger. For the 25-30 students who we lose as drop outs every year, there’s no job more important than mine (well, there is, but it’s being a supportive parent to them and so far that’s not a paid gig). For all students who continue to struggle with any number of things and need the best possible teachers in the most productive environment, I’m their girl. It’s my responsibility to make our school the best place it can be and I get a huge kick out of the problem solving part of this job. I LOVE to hit on something that could impact our kids–like the scheduling changes and literacy initiative. I love even more to read in the research about a school who’s turned it around and then realize we’re already on the path to doing everything in the articles. And I’m lucky enough to have a terrific faculty and staff who are game for just about anything, because they want our kids to do better too.

I’m learning patience as it takes too long to make a real impact. And I’m learning to stick around, to NOT look at those other opportunities. And the administrative opportunities are abundant in our area, like the superintendency in the nearby school district where I taught for ten years and still bleed a little purple for–didn’t apply. It was a painful decision personally, but if I go in another direction now (and I really like changing it up) G-Town goes through a couple of years of transition which can delay progress even more. And remember the march of another 25-30 kids walking out our doors without diplomas continues every year.

The only other direction I can imagine traveling is one that can impact even greater numbers of kids. But I don’t know what that would be and maybe that’s back to the readers’ comments on the previous post. Perhaps accepting invitations outside of my normal, comfortable work life leads in those directions. Right now I only want to accept those invitations, like working at High School’s New Face next summer, that help me learn new ways to improve me and to improve G-Town. I’m just not sure I should head elsewhere when we haven’t reached our destination–better achievement through a better experience and graduation for every kid in our district.  It just takes so dang long to get there.

1. Pingback: Higher Edison

2. I picture myself as the Buddha sitting atop of sunny mountain (no more snow for me! as I ask, “Kimberly, how do you define success for you at this time in your life?”

Personally, I think you are right where you need to be and although the decision to stay vs go for the superintendency was tough, it was the right decision for you, for now.

Go in peace my child . . . 🙂

3. Pingback: Educational Discourse » Where is there?

4. Kimberly,
    As I read your follow up to your “opportunities” post it seems that you are right where you need to be. Administration needs passionate people like you who are dedicated to students.

The only thing I can see is if you can take that passion and pass it on to numerous high schools, then you can impact many kids.
    However as Kelly states once you leave the principal postion you are away from the students, and there is nothing like having that contact with kids, and as you know their is really nothing like it. My principal left for the DO before he came back and he says he didn’t know what he was missing.

Anyhow it sounds like a good dilemma to have, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. If you ever make it to CA and need an assistant principal….

5. Argh, in reading Sean’s question I realize I wasn’t very specific, didn’t provide a link or any additional info–sorry Sean, not very good blogging practice on my part. See, I forgot that there’s a diverse audience out there and must have been writing this post with my local colleagues in mind.

We’re in New York where our BOCES personnel(cooperative services between school districts) plan much of our staff development. Not sure where you are, but in rural districts it’s the best way to work together, gaining services that larger districts can maintain in house. For example, our vocational education is provided to students at BOCES centers. High School’s New Face was hosted by a Joint Management Team of two neighboring BOCES. Schools took teams of four (three teachers and me) to three days of intense training in four different strands. I was in the leadership strand, but was so enthralled with what Will Richardson had to say in the first session that I never left his group. It’s about $3400 for a team of four and includes accomodations at Holiday Valley Resort in Elicottville, New York. I’ve no idea if they can take schools from outside of our area, but if you’re really interested, email me at kmoritz@gowcsd.org and I’ll give you a couple of contacts. And Sean, really glad to hear from you! As a new teacher you should know–it just gets easier and easier. 🙂

6. Hi-

I’m a new teacher and sorry to say that I don’t know much about High School’s New Face. And their “about” section of the website isnt exactly helpful. Could you say a little more about the conference and maybe point me in the direction of learning what the cost is to attend, etc. Though I am just learning the ropes I am interested in progressive high schools, school 2.0, etc. Thanks so much for any assistance, I am new to (but am really enjoying) the blog.

-Sean

7. Kimberly,

I answered the last post so I wouln’t lose my train of thought for this one. I think that you are right. There is no greater job that impacts so many youth. Sometimes it is directly through your contact but most times it is through how the leadership you provide and the direction you provide. I know just how you feel about moving on. I am torn between wanting to move on to a superintendent position and bringing what we have started here to greater fruitation. The change will never end but we are in year two of some great things and I know that in a few more years with the needed support, we will have realized some of our oabjectives and will more clearly see where we need support to realize our others. As Tom suggests, I’m not sure I’m ready to be away from kids forever – although on some days ….. 🙂 It sounds like your sight is set so, with the offers, you have to gage which will give you: satisfaction, impact your vision for the school and yourself, expose you to resources that you can tap and have the greatest impact on the kids through you. I’ve been reminded in the past week to go back to “How/what is the impact on the kids in our school?” Best of luck in your quest!

8. G-Town Principal,

You are putting yourself in a predicament here. You see, I think you are getting invitations precisely because you know your passion – being with your students. It is the passion you have for your kids that prompts others to request your time. It is “unique” in a sense.

For nearly two decades I have struggled with my father’s wisdom to “be true to yourself.” That sometimes means restricting yourself to your area of immediate influence. Other times, it may mean sharing what you have learned with others who need to learn it too. If I have followed your story correctly, it was a conference last summer which led you to blogging. Would you be doing what you are doing now without the voice of someone at that conference? I don’t know, but you do. Can you help your students by sharing your passion with others? I don’t know, but you might “empassion” someone else to have the same heart you have elsewhere. Will that help their students? I think so.

What Will Richardson, Miguel Guhlin, David Warlick, Vicki Davis, and numerous other edubloggers are saying (directly or indirectly) is that blogging is more about your personal reflection on events and ideas in your life and practice. Your decisions to accept speaking engagements will not be easy ones, but it will make you even more reflective.

Now for something I wonder if you have considered. There are teachers who would love to work for someone like you. I know I would (and do). There will be more and more educators who will want you as their leader — as the GenNext kids become teachers (yes some of them will :-)). As you wait patiently, you may have even more possibilities to tell a really great story; not the one you have now isn’t great…you get the idea, I’m sure.

All the best at G-Town. Your “kids” are blessed to have you.