You’ve got 30 minutes to explain

I was sitting at my son’s hockey practice today with a terrific gentleman who I’ve known for several years talking about our kids. He’s of a slightly older generation than I am, yet he’s very clear minded about technology and also very practical.

As we were talking about the kids, he said he always leaves the newspaper open to the editorials and asks the kids to read at least that part every day. He feels that’s the most important part of the newspaper. I had been describing blogging to him and realized that this was a great way to get my point across.

My blog is my own editorial page. Only better. When I read the newspaper, I can’t respond to the writers, at least not instantly. This way people can read my post and share their response immediately. I can do the same, accessing information I would never be able to consume in print. At least not in a timely manner. 

I’m planning a presentation to our board of education and I have been struggling with how to succinctly describe the blogging experience. Now I know I can use this example.

Can anyone think of similar explanations that they’ve used? I hope to go with a couple of teachers and students who are giving it a go. I’m planning to show the BOE members what we’re doing, but worry that someone will leave still wondering why. I’m hopeful that hearing from our students and teachers will make it clear, but am conscious of the time constraints. We’ll probably have about 15-30 minutes. Any suggestions, friends?

1. Pingback: G-Town talks » Blog strokes/pats/props

2. G-Town,
    I just asked this very question today. How do you get people to understand how good this is? We recently showed a variety of blogs and wikis to our BOE. They were super excited, and immediately hoped that we were posting these links to our school web site. I would certainly be glad to share our Power Point that has some links to both teacher and kid work.